Our Park Vista–North Hill location is equipped with a beautiful, fully stocked library. Why? Because seniors at a Moline assisted living community, who read regularly can experience way more than a good story. A lot of research shows reading will do a lot for an older adult, everything from reducing stress to delaying the onset of dementia. So reading is highly recommended for residents at a memory care facility in Moline.
Here are the top 5 mental health benefits for senior citizens who enjoy reading:
- Enhancing Memory – Some studies have proven that those who engaged in mentally stimulating activities like reading had slower memory decline rates compared to those who did not. Our Moline assisted living community knows that reading exercises improve memory. Regular mental workouts for the brain are a great way to maintain cognitive strength.
- Better Sleep Quality – Retirement living in Moline is already relaxing for many seniors, but reading is an excellent way to get some good shut-eye. The Mayo Clinic confirms this. They state that creating a bedtime ritual, such as reading, gives signals to the body that it’s time for sleep.
- Decision Making Gets a Boost – Reading can help seniors improve analytical and reasoning power into their golden years. Those living at a Moline assisted living facility should pick up a novel that peaks their interest. Individuals who routinely challenge their brains with reading tend to do better on intelligence tests.
- Reduced Stress and Anxiety – When it comes to relaxing, residents in the Moline assisted living community should get lost in a fantasy novel and shove their cares to the side. Studies show that seniors’ heart rates tend to relax in just six minutes when reading. Seniors who read were also more likely to think before reacting to things and reduce their anxiety.
- Delays the Onset of Dementia and Alzheimer’s – People in their 70’s who engage in reading or mentally challenging hobbies are less like to develop Alzheimer’s disease, according to USA Today.
Book List for Seniors
Here are a few book recommendations from our Moline senior living community. These stories are sure to give you hours of entertainment. They are stories of love, laughter, loneliness, and even a few secrets.
The Invention of Wings — Kidd, Sue Monk
Getting Rid of Mabel —Frost, Keziah
One-in-a-Million Boy—Wood, Monica
The Story of Arthur Truluv—Berg, Elizabeth:
Love and Other Consolation Prizes—Ford, Jamie
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—Shaffer, Mary Ann, Barrows, Annie
At Park Vista–North Hill, a premier assisted living community in Moline we’ll provide a comprehensive list of amenities when you tour our campus. One thing is always a guarantee; you will experience a caring and nurturing environment that will make you feel like an essential part of our Moline community.
All our campuses are pet friendly, offer a wide range of beauty salons and barber services to ease your stress, and there is even a happy hour at almost every location! Our Park Vista locations offer many options for independent living, assisted living, retirement living in Moline, memory care, and respite care.